Ladonia is located in the southeast corner of Fannin County. In 1840, the community became known as McCownville after Frank McCown opened the first store and became responsible for the first post office. Later, it was called North Sulphur because of the proximity to the North Sulphur River. The story told of a young vocalist, LaDonna Millsey, traveling with a wagon train from Tennessee, entertaining with her beautiful voice, which so impressed Frank McCown, that he changed the name of the town to LaDonna, which evolved over the years to Ladonia. You can learn much more about our history at the Texas State Historical Association.
The future of Ladonia involves the building of Lake Ralph Hall, a critically needed new water supply lake that would be Texas’ first in more than 20 years, and will help mitigate the soil erosion problem along the North Sulphur River in Fannin County. Lake Ralph Hall is also expected to improve wetlands, wildlife habitat, and provide new opportunities for fishing, hunting, water recreation and family fun in the area. Ladonia's goal is to evolve into a resort town that still has the small town feel, and will eventually include all the amenities expected in a modern resort town. We are working together as a community to develop the planning and zoning to accomplish this with the future of the area in mind. Learn more about Lake Ralph Hall.